Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD)
Some diseases are genetic which means they could be inherited and passed by the baby born. To avoid any genetic defects that could within embryos created by IVF and ICSI, doctors go for preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) to check if there are any defects or diseases that can be prevented during the procedure. PGD is also used as a main technique for gender selection, through the process, doctors can identify the chromosome of the embryo if it is (xy) male, or (xx) female.
The process of Pre implantation Genetic Diagnoses Is used for many purposes and during multiple procedures. PGD can determine chromosomal disorders or single-gene disorder, and by that we can help couples to have healthy babies.
In order to have PGD, the embryo must be fertilized outside the women’s uterus so the doctors can pick up cells from the fertilized embryo later and examine it with PGD technique later.
- We begin with IVF or ICSI procedure depending on the patient case and medical\ health need. During both IVF and ICSI, eggs and sperms are fertilized in laboratories petri dish or in vitro.
- The eggs are left to be fertilized in the embryo laboratory and go through many cell divisions.
- After three days, the embryo is consisted of 8 or more cells. Now, One cell is taken to be examined with PGD technique.
- The cells are examined and determined if they maintain genetic disorder or not.
- One the doctors are sure from the healthy embryo, the implant the embryo back into woman’s uterus.
- If there are any healthy\ genetic disorders free are left, we recommend the patients to freeze them for future use or any other purposes. If the patient didn’t want to freeze the lefted embryos, then they will be destroyed, but they have to sign up for that first at Bedaya hospital.
Benefits of PGD
Genetic testing is considered a revolution not only in the treatment of delayed pregnancy but also in ensuring carrying a healthy baby:
Through the technique of PGD, any couple can:
1- Know the cause of delayed pregnancy if it is related to genetic causes.
2- Determine the gender of the baby, which is not considered a luxury in most cases, as some genetic diseases appear only in females or in males.
3- Ensure that embryos are implanted free from syndromes and genetic diseases.
4- PGD can determine more than 100 different genetic disorders.
5-PGD procedure allow the couple to make up their mind if they want the pregnancy or not, because it takes time before embryo implantation in the uterus.
Therefore, Bedaya Hospital is keen all the time to raise awareness and education about genetics and its relationship to reproduction through what is published through social media, websites, television episodes, as well as educational seminars for patients.
Concerns with PGD:
Here is some information that need to be taken in consideration about the PGD:
- -Destruction of embryos with genetic disorders is a strong ethical concern for many people.
- - In some cases, further testing is needed during pregnancy to establish if a genetic factor is still possible.
- -In some cases, genetic disorders which are not found during testing do not appear in the child immediately but can appear later on in life when the child is older. The probability of developing a disorder later on in life should be a topic of discussion with our genetics counsellor.
- -Keep in mind that PGD does not replace the recommendation for prenatal testing.
- If you are interested in PGD, speak with your doctor, genetic counsellor, or a fertility specialist to discuss your options.
PGD at Bedaya hospital:
We are seeking to reach the top and be your number one option at all specializations. Here why you should choose us:
1- we are Contracting with Ajyal laboratories, which is considered one of the most important genetics laboratories in the world, which is supervised by Prof. Dr. Ezzat El-Sobky
2- Ensure that the patient is constantly genetically educated.
3- Transferring all suspected cases to the genetics clinic located at the hospital's headquarters
What are the cases that should be transferred to the genetics clinic?
1- couples who are suffering from pregnancy delays for no reason.
2- women who want to get pregnant at a very old age.
3- men who are suffering from a lack of sperms.
4- men or women who are having a family history of genetic diseases.
5- women who are suffering from repeated miscarriage for no apparent reason.
6- couples who are suffering from the repeated failure of the ICSI procedure.