ICSI is one of the well-known fertility treatments and effective Assisted Reproduction Technology (ART) that is widely used to treat pregnancy delays and infertility causes for both man and woman. Most of our cases at Bedaya hospital are treated by ICSI and went very successful and resulted a healthy pregnancy.
What is the ICSI procedure?
The process of fertilization is a bit complicated, and it is more than an egg and a sperm merging. The head of the sperm must attach with the outside layer of the egg, so the rest of the sperm (body) pushes through the inside layer which is called the cytoplasm and this is where fertilization happens.
In some cases, the outer layer of the egg can be thick which makes it hard to be penetrated or the sperm can have weak motility movement or unable to swim and preach the outside layer. In such situations, we have to consider having an ICSI treatment. The process of Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection is done along with In Vitro Fertilization to make the process of fertilization easier and more guaranteed if any of the couples have problems. ICSI procedure includes injecting one single sperm directly into the cytoplasm of the egg by a precise needle, called a micropipette. Once the egg is fertilized and turned out into an embryo, the doctors let it grows in a laboratory dish for 1-5 days before transferring it back to the patient's uterus.
ICSI treatment steps
- Ovarian stimulation: The procedure requires that the female partner takes fertility medication before the procedure to stimulate the maturation of her eggs. The specialist will then enter the women’s uterus using an ultra-sound guided catheter to retrieve the eggs from the female’s ovaries.
- the embryologist will fertilize the egg with one single good quality sperm under the microscope. The fertilized eggs are then incubated under very precise conditions in the embryology laboratory so they can develop.
- If fertilization occurs in the petri dish, the embryos will be cultured in the laboratory for up to six days and approximately between one to five of the best-quality embryos will be selected for transfer to the female’s uterus.
- All remaining, good quality embryos that are not transferred will be frozen and stored. These frozen eggs can be used later on at the discretion of the couple for future use. Bedaya hospital has a very high pregnancy rate for frozen embryo transfers. The advantage of freezing good quality eggs at this point is that it offers a very high chance of women getting pregnant in a subsequent cycle without having to go through the whole IVF procedure again.
ICSI at Bedaya hospital
Bedaya hospital is very well known with its successful Assisted Reproduction Technology (ART) and has very high ICSI successful rate that equal the international percentage of successes. Since the first step you take towards our hospital to go through ICSI journey, you are taking care of by each member of our staff. Before having ICSI, take your time searching and knowing all about risks, possibilities, cost, and success rates. You have to know that:
- our infertility treatments department has professional professors who are 20 years and more experienced. They are dedicated to their work, and provide you correct first step of diagnosing.
- The Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI procedure) takes place in the embryo lobotory. After the cytoplasm of the egg is being injected by a healthy sperm. They are put in incubators which is very advanced and equipped with latest technology.
- The use of many techniques, such as Assisted Hatching, the IMSI technology, and the superior sperm amplification.
- we have advanced equipment and labotaries to give our patients very accurate diagnoses.
- our Bedaya hospital is keeping in contact with fertility research center and institutes to expand our medical staff knowledge and keep them updated to anything new in the world if fertility treatments.
Assisted Hatching and ICSI
Failure embryos implantation in the uterus lining after returning is one of the most common obstacles we face in IVF and ICSI programs. It is what patients are suffering from repeated attempts, and in every attempt fetuses with good categories and qualities are returned, but the result of pregnancy is negative, due to the failure of embryos to implant in the lining of the womb for unknown reasons. For these people, science and new technologies have come up with a new way to increase the chances of fetal attachment in the endometrium is to hatch the fetal outer layer by laser.
The egg outer layer in a human female has a vital and important role that may be temporary or permanent as it works as a mechanical barrier that prevents the dissolution of the egg or the fetus by the influence of attacking immune cells or physiological absorption or by the influence of toxic biological materials. And recently, modern techniques in fertilization outside the body shed a bright light on the functions of the egg outer wall\ layer.
Research reached in the beginning of the nineties that performing a hole in the wall \layer of the fetus formed by fertilization outside the body before its return during its early stages of division has increased the chances of embryo attachment and that the possibility of this fetus being damaged and losing its properties if a hole in its wall is made is very weak. While performing a hole in the wall\ outer layer of the unfertilized egg, it exposes it to damage opportunities of up to 4%. This is due to the fact that there is more ease and flexibility in the fetal layer than the non-painful egg wall.
ICSI success rate and risks
ICSI procedure success rate is high. you can guarantee an 80% success rate. In some cases, the eggs picked up from the uterus can be damaged or might not grow after the cytoplasm injection which makes the ICSI treatment a fail. Usually, if some of these cases happened, we reinject eggs with sperms until it works out.
At Bedaya hospital, most of our patients are treated by ICSI, we master the procedure with great technology and techniques which our success rates the higher in the middle east region.
Infertility problems can pass by genetically. So , the risk of your male baby having infertility issue from his father is there.
Can the ICSI procedure affect a baby’s health and growth?
Patients who had ICSI at our hospital went through a very natural pregnancy and had healthy babies. The major birth defect is not related to any of the Assisted Reproduction techniques at all, it might even occur at normal pregnancy cases. we can say that the percentage of having an unhealthy baby during ICSI or IVF is the same during natural pregnancy cases. Baby defects risks resulted from ICSI do not exceed 1% and it is due to infertility itself and not the treatment used to overcome infertility.
Who should have ICSI treatment?
ICSI is very effective in treating the following cases:
- Weak motility movement and low sperm count
- Sperm morphology (abnormal shape of sperms)
- Diseases that prevent sperms from reaching the ejaculate or conditions that require extracting surgically the sperms of the testicles.
- General men with infertility problems.
- The sperm may have trouble reaching the center of the egg (cytoplasm).
- If you have frozen your eggs\ sperms for any kind of reason, you will be going through ICSI when deciding to put them in use.
- Women with PCOS
- Women who suffers from blocked Fallopian tubes.
- Women who have unexplained infertility.
- Women who had IUI or IVF and were not successful.
- Women who got their eggs frozen.
- Women who are over 40 years old and having trouble in getting pregnant in such age.
What is the difference between ICSI and IVF?
two of the most effective Assisted Reproduction Techniques are Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection ICSI and In Vitro Fertilization IVF. The key difference between them is how the egg is being fertilized by the sperm. IVF process includes extracting multiple eggs and sperms to be put in a Petri dish and fertilize on their own. However, the ICSI process is extracting one egg to be fertilized with one good quality sperm by a tiny needle.
Which is better for you?
ICSI is most recommended for male infertility issues like sperm morphology or the low count. ICSI will be very effective and guaranteed since it gives extra assistance to sperm quality. So, if you are confused about IVF and ICSI, both are amazing and effective, but the doctor will choose the best according to your medical history, age, and case.